Devereaux House is a brick 1 ½ storey farmhouse built
in the 1860's by original settlers of Esquesing Township.
It is located on the west side of Trafalgar Road, north of
Maple. Its design and setting embody the rural heritage that
is fast disappearing from our region. It sits on land that
was a working farm from 1829 to the 1970's passing from generation
to generation of one family.
This historical photo, judging by the dress, probably dates
from before the Great War.
the Town of Halton Hills owns Devereaux House. It is a typical
19th century "Ontario Farmhouse" with its combination
of gothic and classical features, use of different brick colours
to create a decorative pattern and overall symmetry. Structurally,
it was built stronger than it ever had to be. What makes our
house special is that so little has been renovated inside.
The trim is original, the plaster is bonded with hogs'hair
and the now rare Rumford fireplace is unchanged.
Friends of Devereaux are working to secure a future for Devereaux
House as a public rural heritage property for the education
and enjoyment of all Halton Hills residents. Land around is
marked for a future cemetery and a complex of sport fields.
In the short term, a tenant, the Georgetown Soccer Club, has
been secured for offices on the second floor. When this corner
is fully developed, the Devereaux House will adapt to any
number of public uses while remaining a focal point of our
community's agricultural past and the contributions of those
who worked this land.
Top of Page
| About Us | History
| Preservation | Photo
Gallery | Needs Registry
Project Partners | Calendar | Sponsors
| DH Connection | Get
Involved | Contact Us